The Aquaculture Conservation Council (ASC), fisheries and ASC Chain of Custody (COC) standards help companies and organizations promote and determine the responsible production of farm-raised fish. ASC, an independent and non-profit organization serving internationally, aims to be the world´s leading certification body in the field of all kinds of seafood breeding. ASC stands for Aquaculture Stewardship Council, as has been expressed. Founded in 2010 by the Dutch Sustainable Trade Initiative, ASC´s primary responsibility and goal is to manage and establish worldwide standards for responsible breeding.
As the need for protein-rich food grows, fish consumption increases. Findings arguably show that eating fish is healthier and more affordable overall, and better for the environment than eating meat. Consumers today demand responsible aquaculture. ASC focuses on environmental and social aspects.
ASC Certification Process
ASC Certificate can only be obtained from organizations that have certification authority in this field and have the necessary accreditation. Support can also be obtained from companies that provide training, consultancy and certification services during the preparation, implementation and follow-up of the requirements of ASC standards. Because ASC requires a certain sectoral capability and experience. Many companies provide support to enterprises as a package program (standard scope, training, application, certification, etc.) in all steps related to the ASC certificate.
The following items are required for ASC Standards;
* Compliance with laws
* Protection of natural environment and biological diversity
* Protection of water resources
* Preservation of diversity of species, prevention of wild population
Responsible use of animal feed and other resources
* Animal health (unnecessary drug use)
* Social responsibility (especially child labor and attention to labor rights)
We can list the advantages of the ASC Certificate as follows:
* Every business that has an ASC certificate fulfills legal obligations in the environment, health, safety and many other areas.
* It supports the protection of water resources.
* It prevents the danger of animal health and the emergence of various diseases. Because businesses that succeed in obtaining the ASC Certificate can minimize the use of drugs such as unnecessary chemicals or antibiotics since they provide many standard items.
* Products such as animal feed, care products and similar products are used responsibly.
* Contributes to the preservation of the natural environment, marine ecosystem and biological diversity.
* One of the biggest contributions of the ASC Certificate to nature and the environment is undoubtedly the protection of species, that is, populations.
* ASC standards also allow companies to take part in many social responsibility studies.
* Every company with an ASC Certificate goes one step ahead of its competitors in the market and gets the chance to enter new markets.
* Benefits for ASC certificate holders include preserving the current market position and the potential to enter new markets.
* The benefits of fish farmers include promoting responsible fish farm management and contributing to the livelihood of communities.
* Benefits for consumers include making conscious and responsible choices easily.
ASC has a total of 11 different certificate programs covering 17 different seafood. Businesses can apply for documents for products ranging from freshwater fish to salmon, sea bass to bream, shrimp to seaweed and more, depending on their field of activity.
“As EKOL Certification Firm, we are pleased to support you in the ASC certification process. You can contact us to get detailed information and benefit from the service. "