The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is an internationally recognized Organic Textile standard that evaluates all textile chains worldwide, organic fibers used in textiles and the compatibility issues of these fibers in processing conditions. In other words, the process from the harvest of the raw material to its production and labeling is a formation developed by internationally competent companies in order to ensure the trust of the consumer, taking into account the environmental factors. GOTS has demonstrated its usefulness since it was first implemented in 2006. The Global Organic Textile Standard International Working Group, which works in this field, consists of the membership of 4 world-renowned countries. These countries; OTA (USA), IVN (Germany), Soil Association (UK) and JOCA (Japan).
The purpose of the GOTS standard is to show the consumer that the product is a reliable production process, including whether it is made with an organic raw material, the production conditions, the place where it is produced and the labeling stage.
The standard covers the processing, manufacturing, packaging, labeling, trading and distribution of all textile products made from at least 70 percent certified organic natural fibers. Fiber products can include, but are not limited to, yarns, fabrics, clothing and home textiles. However, it should be noted that this standard does not set criteria for leather products.
GOTS Standard Process
Generally, a company participating in the GOTS certification program must work in accordance with all the criteria of the standard. The criteria within the scope of the GOTS Standard are listed as follows;
* The rights of all employees should be protected, child labor should not be employed.
* Safe and healthy environments should be provided with free choice of work.
* All chemical inputs such as dyestuffs and auxiliaries used must meet certain environmental and toxicological criteria.
* A functional wastewater treatment plant is mandatory for any relevant wet processing unit and all processors must comply with social criteria.
* Traceability, social conditions, environmental conditions, approved paint-chemicals and accessories are the main criteria of this standard.
* It allows the use of minimum 70% organic fibers (cotton, linen, wool and silk) and maximum 10% synthetic-regenerated fiber. An exception is the use of 25% synthetic-regenerated fiber for socks and sportswear products.
* Industries should have written and environmental document policies.
* GOTS creates a guide to eliminate environmental problems of organic textile factories.
* Every organic producer needs a book or a management plan describing the production of specially prepared organic textile products.
* It is necessary to evaluate the processing and storage system, to evaluate the separation and identification system and to identify the risky areas in terms of organic integrity through visits to the relevant facilities.
* The compliance of chemical inputs (dyes and auxiliaries) and the accessories used with the valid GOTS criteria must be examined.
* Social criteria such as possible sources of information such as meeting with management, confidential interviews with workers, personnel documents, inspection instead, s / stakeholders should be evaluated.
* All products must have a label.
* Owned by the business; Certificate, delivery note, transaction records, warehouse books, invoices should be kept and the organic nature of the products should be passed in all.
* The organic processor needs an accounting system that will determine all kinds of economic amounts to be realized in the sales and purchase processes.
After all these conditions are met, the company receives an initial information package about GOTS and fills the application form. In order to obtain a certificate, the independent private organization submits a certain amount of offers and then a document is signed for certification. In case of deficiencies, the institution that will issue the certificate asks the company to make corrections. If the conditions are met, the company is registered in the online database of GOTS. With this certificate, the textile product is secured. Textile manufacturers can export fabrics and dresses with proven organic products in all major markets around the world with the certificate they receive.
“Organizations that have obtained an organic textile certificate by fulfilling the criteria and the existence of this standard that protects the rights of the workplace; It will take place in the eyes of the consumer as a more reliable organization. As EKOL Certification Body, we are pleased to support you in GOTS Audit service. You can contact us for detailed information. "