The Global Recycling Standard covers the processing, production, packaging, labeling and distribution of all products containing recyclable material. It has been translated into our language as the Global Recycling Standard. It was mainly developed by Control Union in 2008 and ownership moved to Textile Exchange on 1 January 2011. Textile Exchange is a global nonprofit organization that works closely with all sectors of the textile supply chain to find the best way to minimize and reverse the negative environmental and social consequences created by a $ 1.7 trillion industry.
GRS is an international and voluntary product standard that sets requirements for third-party certification of recycled ingredients, chain of custody, social and environmental practices, and chemical restrictions.
GRS reduces or eliminates the damage caused by the production of recycled materials. Its goal is to define requirements to ensure accurate content claims and good working conditions and to minimize harmful environmental and chemical impacts. These requirements cover companies dealing with ginning, spinning, weaving, knitting, dyeing and printing and sewing in more than 50 countries.
In summary, the objectives of GRS can be listed as follows;
Alignment of definitions in more than one application,
• Monitoring and tracking recycled input materials,
Informed decisions to customers (both brands and consumers),
• To reduce the harmful effects of production on people and the environment,
• To encourage innovation in addressing quality issues in recycled use.
The standard can be applied to companies that produce or trade recycled products, final or intermediate products. It covers all products that contain at least 20% recycled material. Its application area is not limited to textile products, but it is very wide, especially products such as paper, packaging, glass, plastic. The standard is designed to meet the needs of companies wishing to verify their recycled content and responsible social, environmental and chemical practices in their production.
GRS certification; Sustainability, environment, energy saving, efficient use of energy and cost reduction have become very important and these issues are now being discussed globally. In addition, GRS is a certificate that must be owned in order to increase the competitiveness of companies operating in the sectors it covers. After receiving GRS consultancy and applying to an institution authorized to issue this certificate, a number of procedures must be carried out.
Although these steps may vary depending on the companies providing GRS consultancy and certification services, they can be summarized as follows:
* Application, contract, payment transactions
* Preparation for the first control and certification audits within the company regarding GRS
Before the first inspection, the following documents are sent to the applicant company:
1. Information letter about GRS Standard.
2. Standard / Manual and application guide.
3. Other documents related to the process:
* Audit checklists, audit report including list of suppliers and subcontractors.
* The company applying for a certificate by taking GRS consultancy fills these documents completely or partially and obtains business licenses, policies and procedures, supplier certificates, etc. It prepares such documents as to declare to the institution that will issue the certificate.
* Later, an audit is carried out within the applicant company. This audit plan may also differ depending on the institutions that provide GRS consultancy and certification services.
However, in general, the following steps are followed:
1. Opening meeting.
2. Performing the audit.
3. Preparation of audit report and findings.
4. Closing meeting.
* After the completion of the audit, a report detailing the findings is prepared. In the event that nonconformities or findings (if any) are closed, the applicant firm is given a certificate.
“It would be beneficial for a company to have a certificate of an international standard. In accordance with international standards; production, distribution, storage, packaging, etc. companies that show that they carry out activities can gain international reputation, prestige and reliability. As EKOL Certification Institution, we offer GRS Consultancy Service that will bring prestige to your company. You can contact us for support and detailed information. "